What in the World is God Doing?
Have you ever asked that question? I bet there have been moments of frustration in your life when you’ve wondered what the Lord was up to. While I can’t give you a specific answer for each particular situation, I can point you to the BIG picture of what God is doing.
We often get so hyper-focused on trying to figure out the details of life that we miss the larger context.
It’s kind of like walking the streets of a city and then seeing that same city from 30,000 feet in the sky. Seeing the BIG picture of what’s going on around you gives you a fresh perspective on where you are.
Paul zooms out and reminds us of the BIG picture of what God is doing in the world:
“God is reconciling the world to Himself in Christ.”
What Exactly does Reconciliation Mean?
Reconciliation is the restoration of friendly relations. Humanity’s sin causes a ‘brokenness’ in our relationship with our Heavenly Father. Through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, God the Father offers us an opportunity to be restored to a right relationship with Him.
Some will accept this invitation and others will reject it. Those who receive Christ experience a complete change in their relationship with Him. Where there once was enmity, there is now harmony. Reconciliation is truly an astonishing act of the mercy, grace, and forgiveness of Jesus.
The Blessing of Reconciliation
Reflect on several practical implications of how this reconciliation shapes our everyday life:
- Worship – Recipients of reconciliation respond in heartfelt praise.
- Relationships – Those who have genuinely experienced reconciliation with God seek harmony and reconciliation with their fellow man. How could we do anything less?
- Purpose – We’re invited to play a part in what God is doing. Paul says we’ve been given a “ministry” and a “message of reconciliation” (vs. 18,19). This is not just for those who are ordained or employed by a church. Each of us is called to proclaim reconciliation in both word and deed.
- Hope – God didn’t just create the world and back away. He’s not asleep at the wheel. Even in a crazy year like 2020 or the early chaos of 2021, He is still actively offering reconciliation to the sinful man and guiding all of history according to His sovereign plan.
Being mindful of the BIG picture of what God is doing in the world can help sustain you when it’s unclear what He’s doing in your life. Take heart. A lot might not make sense right now. But if you’ve been reconciled to God, you have a reason to worship, a purpose to live for, and a basis to hold onto hope. Think about It.
So, What’s The Play Call?
- Have you truly been reconciled to God through Jesus?
- Is there anyone in your life with whom you currently need to pursue reconciliation?
- How could you play a more active role in the ministry and message of reconciliation?