So, I watched The Lion King, the real one, for the first time on Disney Plus. Have you seen it? One thing is for certain, watching Mufasa fall from that cliff as an actual lion and not an animation is far more devastating than I could have imagined. But, that’s not what this is about.
No, this is about those stampeding wildebeests that trampled the dear king of the jungle. Their panic cost Mufasa his life. Now, let’s back up a bit to the actual cause of the stampede.
Those three pesky hyenas caused an entire herd of animals to take off in terror. Yes, I get that hyenas are predators, but there were only 3 of them and like a billion (not quite) wildebeests. I know, I know, “It’s the circle of life, Alecia.” I get it, they’re supposed to be afraid, but couldn’t the wildebeests have trampled the hyenas and been done with it? Oh well.
Another thing, once those wildebeests got caught up in their stampede, nothing took their focus off the panic long enough to get them to calm down. In fact, I can probably bet that at least 87% of them didn’t even know what the threat was about! They only ran because the other 13% actually saw their attackers. It’s like the “run now, ask questions later” rule. Either way, they ran. I mean, where were they running to? Where was the safe house? And, which wildebeest was in charge of these details?
Is the Danger Worth the Fear?
Alright, here we are again after one of my movie binges. My focal point here today is fear. Yes, let’s talk about how fear gets way too much credit and power.
Fear, if we allow it, sends us on wild stampedes with no questions asked. It has been the cause of many deaths, and I’m not talking literal deaths. Just as Mufasa was the casualty of the wildebeest’s terror, so are some of your plans and dreams. Some of the things that we have written down, drawn blueprints for, and created a logo to represent have been trampled under the large hoofs of fear. And, just like those wildebeests, your predator is, in many cases, smaller than you.
But, due to the “circle of life”, or the thoughts and opinions of others, you have chosen to cower and allow yourself to succumb to their logic. The slinging of statistics and facts, declarations of a lack of resources, and whispers of lack of support are insignificant to the God who placed those plans in your head and desires in your heart.
One of the problems is that our human emotions kick in and we become afraid of the hyena that is much smaller than we are. We take off running, never look back, and by the time we stop, we are in a place so comfortable that we dare not leave. We even allow other people’s failures to stop us because they’ve tried what we are planning to do and failed.
In these times, what we forget is that with God by our side, covering us, and within us, that thing that we are so terrified of is outnumbered. And, you know what our playbook says about God being for us. If you don’t, no worries, here’s the scripture: “What shall we then say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31
So, What’s the Play Call?
One of the most effortless things to do in life is to be afraid. It is so easy to allow fear to take over and cause our nerves to stampede us to doom. Here are some things to remember when those hyenas show up to chase you from your green pastures:
- Don’t be afraid. Yes, I know, this is easier “read” than done, but remember that if God is for us then those against us cannot defeat us. And, I’m going to share a few more things to help work through this point… please read on. “Don’t be afraid!” Elisha told him. “For there are more on our side than on theirs!” 2 Kings 6:16 NLT
- It’s bigger than you. Mmmhmm, what God has for us is greater than what we’re anticipating. If it wasn’t, He would not have given us our amazingly crazy ideas. He wants you to possess that land, but you’ve got to let that fear go. The hyena can only chase you out of your success if you let it. “Then will the Lord drive out all these nations from before you, and ye shall possess greater nations and mightier than yourselves.” Deuteronomy 11:23
- Do not hide your talents. Please don’t be like the fearful servant who buried what his master gave him. Gifts and talents don’t grow like flowers – when you bury them, you only risk losing them. If God gave you something, please believe He will protect His investment. “Why didn’t you deposit my money in the bank? At least I could have gotten some interest on it.” Matthew 25:27
- Only use what God gave you. If you stick to this, you won’t be tempted to let fear barge in. Why? Because of all the things that God has given you, fear is not one of them. “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7
I challenge you to stand firm and refuse the urge to stampede in fear. Have faith that your success is secure in the hands of God who gave you the gifts that you possess.